Stollenkonfekt, a miniature version of the larger Stollen, embodies the same delightful flavors in a fraction of the time. Despite its smaller size, it offers the same delectable taste as its larger counterpart. For those seeking an extra touch, consider filling each piece with a small amount of marzipan. However, these delightful 'cookies' stand out as sweet yeast bread, packed with the goodness of candied citrus, raisins, and nuts—an absolutely amazing treat and one of my personal favorites!
The original recipe traditionally includes quark, yet given its scarcity and expense in the USA, a viable alternative is Greek yogurt, which serves as an equally effective substitute, preserving the essence and texture of the recipe. This adaptation ensures you still experience the authentic and delightful taste of these Stollenkonfekt treats without compromising their deliciousness!
In the video I am using "fresh" yeast. Fresh yeast is hard to find in the US, it is 100% fine to use either instant or active dry yeast for this recipe.
Makes 49 cookies
- 1 cup (250g) quark (or full fat greek yogurt)
- 2 1/4 tps (50g) yeast (fresh or dry)
- 2/3 cup (100ml) milk
- 2/3 cup (125g) sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 4 cups (500g) All-Purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cup (125g) almond flour/meal
- 10 Tbsp (150g) unsalted soft butter
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp lemon peel
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/3 cup (50ml) apple juice or water as needed
- 1/4 cup (50g) candied lemon (Zitronat)
- 3/4 cup (150g) raisins
- to brush with 10 Tbsp (150g) unsalted butter
- Dust with powdered sugar
- In a large mixing bowl mix flour, almond meal, sugar, salt, yeast, quark, milk, Vanilla, egg yolks, and butter, and mix until a soft and uniform dough forms. The dough should not be sticky.
- Knead the dough until smooth (about 5 minutes) and then add the candied lemon peel and raisins.
- Place the dough into a bowl, cover it with plastic, and let rise in a warm place for 45 minutes.
- Cut the dough into 49 even pieces. Flatten each piece out and fold over.
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Place the cookies on a parchment-covered cookie sheet.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 15 minutes.
- While the cookies are baking, melt butter in a saucepan and once the cookies come out of the oven brush each with melted butter and then dust with powdered sugar.